Wednesday, May 12, 2010

2004 Train Trip – Part 8 – 10/30/04

The next morning we met in the lobby and went to the temple to have the actual bat mitzvah, which was nice.  We sang and listened to Sarah’s prepared speech.  I sat with Nancy behind my cousin and his wife and their two kids.  At the end of the service, Nancy started balling, which I thought was a little odd, but I guess heartfelt.  I comforted her, stroking her back.  Then my cousin’s wife turned around and started comforting her.

After some mingling in the temple lobby, my dad, his brother and I stepped out onto the steps of the temple where I snapped a picture of them together which would be the last picture I’d take of my uncle before he died. 

We all went to a restaurant to have a Saturday luncheon.  On the way to the restaurant, we saw a train station (Radford Station), so I called and found that the station was run by a local commuter company, and that a train from this location so close to the restaurant would get met back to the station in Philadelphia in time to catch a train back to New York.

The luncheon was nice.  It felt very East Coast, casually formal, lots of hobnobbing.  The location was a restaurant, which was dark and classy inside.  Most people stood around, exchanging niceties. I was surprised to find that older, successful men asked me what I did for a living (just finished at Disney at the time) and listened with intense interest to my journey through entertainment.  People were smoking and drinking hard liquor in the middle of the day.

After a couple of hours, I said my goodbyes to my dad’s side of the family, obeying my watch, and walked a block or so to an overpass that housed the train platform for my train.  I remember now how once I was on the train, I felt so relaxed.  This family reunion had caused me some anxiousness, I think because I rarely saw my dad’s side of the family much, and because I knew that they were kind of upper-crust, and I didn’t feel like I knew how to act around them.

Now I was on the train, coasting through late-afternoon Pennsylvania greenery, headed back to Manhattan where my aunt and uncle on my mom’s side, and Brenda, awaited my return. I was much more comfortable with that.

After arriving back at my aunt’s on Central Park West, Brenda and I were off again, down to Times Square to see, “The Producers.”  We then walked around and people-watched for the remainder of the evening.